Can’t see the audio participant? Click on right here to pay attention on Acast. It’s also possible to pay attention on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Pocket Casts or wherever you hearken to podcasts.
Click on right here for a transcript of the episode.
President Joe Biden unveiled a purported compromise on his social-spending plan shortly earlier than taking off for a collection of conferences in Europe. Nevertheless it stays unclear whether or not the proposal — which jettisons a few of the president’s well being priorities — will win the assist of sufficient Democrats to push it over the end line.
In the meantime, the Supreme Court docket on Monday will hear oral arguments in a case introduced by the Biden administration attempting to strike down the Texas legislation that has stopped most abortions within the state because it took impact in September.
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of KHN, Joanne Kenen of Politico and Johns Hopkins, Sarah Karlin-Smith of the Pink Sheet and Rachana Pradhan of KHN.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- The framework introduced by the White Home supplies few particulars about well being care provisions. However the White Home might have pushed this ahead as a result of the president needed to point out progress on local weather provisions as he heads to a world local weather assembly subsequent week and figured that the well being points could possibly be resolved later.
- Regardless of Democrats’ longtime push for bringing down Medicare drug costs, the framework introduced by the White Home contains just one pretty small provision that will have an effect on that spending. It could overturn a Trump administration effort to ensure reductions supplied by drugmakers to insurers be handed on to shoppers. Within the byzantine world of federal budgeting, that measure was going to price the federal government cash and jettisoning the coverage will present financial savings that lawmakers can use for different advantages they wish to put into the general spending invoice.
- Progressives within the Democratic Social gathering have been pushing arduous for an growth of Medicare advantages to cowl listening to, imaginative and prescient and dental providers. However the framework contains just some listening to protection.
- The framework additionally dramatically reduces a proposal to enhance residence well being providers.
- The Supreme Court docket arguments subsequent week are in a go well with in search of to overturn a Texas abortion legislation that bans the process after fetal cardiac exercise might be detected — normally at about six weeks of being pregnant. Though conservatives are hoping the justices will use the case to overturn Roe v. Wade, a lot of the case might revolve round different points, together with the legislation’s uncommon enforcement mechanism that permits people — not the state — to deliver civil instances in opposition to individuals who assist girls get an abortion.
- If the excessive courtroom have been to overturn Roe, it’s doable abortion might change into a voting situation for progressives. Nevertheless it’s not more likely to mobilize sufficient folks in deeply crimson states to vary the conservative tradition or management.
- The Meals and Drug Administration was anticipated to announce this week that one of many covid-19 vaccines can be utilized safely in youngsters ages 5 to 11. After that, the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention will provide its evaluation. Well being specialists will likely be watching to see whether or not the CDC says all youngsters in that age group want the vaccine or the company units up totally different standards amongst teams of children.
- The FDA final week stated Cyltezo, a biosimilar drug that treats some inflammatory illnesses, can be utilized interchangeably with the costly biologic drug Humira. Meaning pharmacies can substitute the drug with no physician’s approval. Nevertheless it doesn’t imply costs will fall instantly; it typically takes a number of drug options to deliver down prices.
Additionally this week, Rovner interviews Amy Howe of SCOTUSblog in regards to the upcoming Supreme Court docket arguments over Texas’ controversial abortion legislation.
Plus, for additional credit score, the panelists suggest their favourite well being coverage tales of the week they suppose you must learn too:
Julie Rovner: Rewire Information Group’s “When a Miscarriage Turns into a Jail Sentence,” by Caroline Reilly.
Joanne Kenen: Nature’s “COVID Vaccine Makers Brace for a Variant Worse Than Delta,” by Emily Waltz.
Rachana Pradhan: KHN’s “3 States Restrict Nursing Residence Earnings in Bid to Enhance Care,” by Susan Jaffe.
Sarah Karlin-Smith: KHN’s “‘Right down to My Final Diaper’: The Nervousness of Parenting in Poverty,” by Jenny Gold.
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
Submit a Story Tip
Supply By https://kffhealthnews.org/information/article/podcast-khn-what-the-health-219-biden-social-spending-framework-retreats-on-health-october-28-2021/