Click on right here for a transcript of the episode.
President Joe Biden unveiled a purported compromise on his social-spending plan shortly earlier than taking off for a sequence of conferences in Europe. Nevertheless it stays unclear whether or not the proposal — which jettisons a few of the president’s well being priorities — will win the assist of sufficient Democrats to push it over the end line.
In the meantime, the Supreme Court docket on Monday will hear oral arguments in a case introduced by the Biden administration attempting to strike down the Texas legislation that has stopped most abortions within the state because it took impact in September.
This week’s panelists are Julie Rovner of KHN, Joanne Kenen of Politico and Johns Hopkins, Sarah Karlin-Smith of the Pink Sheet and Rachana Pradhan of KHN.
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- The framework introduced by the White Home supplies few particulars about well being care provisions. However the White Home could have pushed this ahead as a result of the president wished to indicate progress on local weather provisions as he heads to a global local weather assembly subsequent week and figured that the well being points might be resolved later.
- Regardless of Democrats’ longtime push for bringing down Medicare drug costs, the framework introduced by the White Home consists of just one pretty small provision that may have an effect on that spending. It could overturn a Trump administration effort to ensure reductions provided by drugmakers to insurers be handed on to customers. Within the byzantine world of federal budgeting, that measure was going to value the federal government cash and jettisoning the coverage will present financial savings that lawmakers can use for different advantages they wish to put into the general spending invoice.
- Progressives within the Democratic Occasion have been pushing arduous for an growth of Medicare advantages to cowl listening to, imaginative and prescient and dental companies. However the framework consists of just some listening to protection.
- The framework additionally dramatically reduces a proposal to enhance house well being companies.
- The Supreme Court docket arguments subsequent week are in a swimsuit looking for to overturn a Texas abortion legislation that bans the process after fetal cardiac exercise may be detected — often at about six weeks of being pregnant. Though conservatives are hoping the justices will use the case to overturn Roe v. Wade, a lot of the case may revolve round different points, together with the legislation’s uncommon enforcement mechanism that permits people — not the state — to convey civil instances towards individuals who assist girls get an abortion.
- If the excessive court docket had been to overturn Roe, it’s doable abortion may change into a voting problem for progressives. Nevertheless it’s not prone to mobilize sufficient individuals in deeply pink states to vary the conservative tradition or management.
- The Meals and Drug Administration was anticipated to announce this week that one of many covid-19 vaccines can be utilized safely in youngsters ages 5 to 11. After that, the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention will provide its evaluation. Well being specialists shall be watching to see whether or not the CDC says all youngsters in that age group want the vaccine or the company units up totally different standards amongst teams of children.
- The FDA final week stated Cyltezo, a biosimilar drug that treats some inflammatory ailments, can be utilized interchangeably with the costly biologic drug Humira. Meaning pharmacies can substitute the drug with out a physician’s approval. Nevertheless it doesn’t imply costs will fall instantly; it typically takes a number of drug alternate options to convey down prices.
Additionally this week, Rovner interviews Amy Howe of SCOTUSblog concerning the upcoming Supreme Court docket arguments over Texas’ controversial abortion legislation.
Plus, for further credit score, the panelists advocate their favourite well being coverage tales of the week they suppose you need to learn too:
Julie Rovner: Rewire Information Group’s “When a Miscarriage Turns into a Jail Sentence,” by Caroline Reilly.
Joanne Kenen: Nature’s “COVID Vaccine Makers Brace for a Variant Worse Than Delta,” by Emily Waltz.
Rachana Pradhan: KHN’s “3 States Restrict Nursing Residence Income in Bid to Enhance Care,” by Susan Jaffe.
Sarah Karlin-Smith: KHN’s “‘Right down to My Final Diaper’: The Nervousness of Parenting in Poverty,” by Jenny Gold.
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
Submit a Story Tip
Supply By https://khn.org/information/article/podcast-khn-what-the-health-219-biden-social-spending-framework-retreats-on-health-october-28-2021/